Skip to main content

Configuring Hyper-V for seamless access to VM on Windows 8

If you have Windows 8 Pro or EnterPrise and need to use Hyper-V on your machine look no further. In this post I will explain how you can start using Hyper-V up on your machine but before I get into the usage instructions I would like you to read the below link to understand how you can enable Hyper-V on your machine
http://www.techrepublic.com/photos/use-windows-8-client-hyper-v-to-set-up-a-test-machine/6387407?tag=siu-container;thumbnail-view-selector

Once you have enabled Hyper-V and created a Virtual Machine the next step is to be able to access this VM seamlessly. The way you can achieve this is listed below-

Goto Hyper-V Console and click on Virtual Switch Manager


Select the network type as Internal and click Create Virtual Switch. This network switch enables your guest Virtual Machine to communicate with the host machine.



Next run ncpa.cpl in your host machine's run window. Right click the Internal network adapter and click properties. Double click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/Ipv4). Fill values as shown in the below pic



Next run ncpa.cpl in your guest virtual machine. Right click the Internal network adapter and click properties. Double click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/Ipv4). Fill values as shown in the below pic



Now is the time to experience the amazing seamless access to your virtual machine. RDP from host machine into your virtual machine by typing the IP Address of your VM. (192.168.2.102).
No issues with display resolution or clipboard access




Comments

  1. Great post on this. I have a question for you: Due to the age of my business software (proprietary), I must run it using Windows Server 2003 Standard. My software has a 'server' version on it, installed on the server, which I access from my desktop.

    If I am running Windows 8.1 Pro on my desktop, then install 2003 as my VM, can my desktop access the VM? It must in order to work properly.

    This proprietary software was designed for numerous users in a network, but, I am a one man operation, therefore I am the only one accessing the server even though it does allow my customers to do so also.

    Thoughts?

    Dirk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dirk,

    While i have used VMs with OS version Windows Server 2008 onwards, it should be possible for you to use 2003 too. I suggest you to download a Windows Server 2003 based vhd from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=19727. Install your software on this and try to check if you can access it. My gut feeling says you should be able to.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A simple customization in MPOS (Blank Operation) with AX7

Hi All, I recently had to add a Blank Operation to Modern POS (MPOS) to open a url from MPOS. Blank Operation as you may already be aware enable you to extend Microsoft Dynamics Retail for POS by adding custom logic that can be triggered from the Retail POS Register buttons. The way to implement Blank Operations in MPOS  is different from Enterprise POS as MPOS is a modern app as compared to EPOS which is a windows forms based app. So lets explore a very simple customization i.e. we want to open a URL on triggering a button from MPOS. 1. We would need to start with AX to add a button to the layout of MPOS. If you do not want to disturb the standard layouts its better to copy one of the existing layouts and then modify it using the designer. Please note the designer only opens in Internet Explorer so it will save you time by not trying to open it in other browsers e.g Chrome 2. Next we need to add this layout to the Store where we intend to use it, in

Hyper-V VM 100% disk utilization

I was facing a persistent issue of 100% disk utilization on starting any VM in my Hyper-V. The below link helped me to resolve it https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/2b184f22-ea8c-4bc3-9f64-8b46eeaeef61/hyperv-host-disk-usage-at-100?forum=w8itprovirt